Newport Beach Insurance Fraud Defense Lawyer
What Is Considered Insurance Fraud in California?
State laws define various types of insurance fraud, including claims related to automobile insurance, health insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, and property insurance. There are different ways that a person can try to defraud an insurance company, and such actions can lead to serious penalties.
Different types of insurance fraud include the following:
- Burning of property to collect insurance money
- Claiming that property was damaged in an accident when it was not damaged
- Faking an accident to receive money
- Falsely stating that a vehicle was stolen to collect money
- Falsifying a personal physical injury to collect money
- Overstating the damage to property
California Penalties for Insurance Fraud
The punishment for an insurance fraud conviction depends on the specific type of insurance fraud and the defendant’s activities.
Penalties for insurance fraud in California include the following:
- Misdemeanor in California results in a sentence of up to 1 year in county jail, a fine of up to $10,000 or both
- Felony results in a term of imprisonment for 2-5 years and a fine of up to $50,000.
Corrigan Welbourn Stokke, APLC Experienced Insurance Legal Counsel
If you have been accused of insurance fraud, it is vital to contact an experienced attorney who can defend your rights. Our orange county insurance fraud lawyers founded Corrigan Welbourn Stokke with the mission to bring the best criminal defense options to Newport Beach. Our attorneys use a collaborative approach, so ever client receives the benefit of over 100 years of combined legal experience. We have represented clients throughout Orange County with a variety of white collar crime cases. We fight tirelessly to help our clients receive the best possible outcome for their case.
Contact our Newport Beach attorneys today for a free consultation at (949) 251-0330! We are available for you 24/7!