Newport Beach Healthcare Fraud Attorneys
Healthcare Fraud Lawyers in Orange County
A person or company commits healthcare fraud when they cheat a government healthcare program or an insurer. Individuals charged with healthcare fraud face serious penalties and consequences. If you have been charged with healthcare fraud, it is vital to have an experienced attorney on your side. The attorneys at Corrigan Welbourn Stokke, APLC have over 100 years of collective experience helping clients defend themselves from healthcare fraud charges in Orange County. We have also handled high-profile cases and have extensive trial experience. Our experience equips us to develop strong and strategic defenses to ensure our clients receive the best possible results for their case.
We are available 24/7! Contact our Newport Beach healthcare defense lawyers today for a free case review at (949) 251-0330!
Types of Healthcare Fraud
Healthcare fraud can be committed in a variety of ways. For example, healthcare fraud would include a person loaning or using another person’s Total Health Care ID card to get medical services. It would also involve forging an order or prescription, medical record or referral form, or selling prescription drugs/supplies obtained through healthcare benefits. If a person provides false information when applying for benefits or services, they may be charged with healthcare fraud.
There are a few other different schemes that are used to defraud the American healthcare system including:
- Billing for Services Not Rendered: Commonly known as billing Medicare for a service that did not occur. This is when people forge signatures of individuals enrolled in Medicare, along with using bribes to corrupt medical professionals.
- Duplicate Claims: This is when the provider does not submit the exact bill and changes small portions. They might change the date to charge Medicare twice for the same service that was rendered. This is done to get paid twice.
- Excessive Services: This is when Medicare is billed for services greater than what was required—including medical equipment and services.
- Unbundling: This is when bills for services are submitted in piecemeal and appear to be staggered out over time. These services would normally cost less when bundled together, but by manipulating the claim, a higher charge is billed to Medicare. This results in a higher payout to the party committing the fraud.
- Unnecessary Services: This is when claims are filed for care that does not apply to the condition of the patient.
- Upcoding of Items: This is commonly known as the billing of items that are costlier than what was received by a patient.
- Upcoding of Services: This is commonly known as the billing of services that are costlier than what was actually rendered.
Experienced Newport Beach Healthcare Fraud Lawyers
If you have been accused of healthcare fraud, it is vital to have an experienced attorney on your side. The attorneys at Corrigan Welbourn Stokke have over 100 years of collective experience representing clients charged with healthcare fraud throughout Orange County. We pride in being a small firm because we never hand down cases to less-experienced attorneys. Your life is more than just another file that has been quickly glanced over at a large firm. We have tried over 200 jury trials, and our results demonstrate we are capable of fighting for your rights and helping you receive the best possible results for your case.
Contact our Newport Beach healthcare fraud attorneys today for a free case review at (949) 251-0330. We are available 24/7!